Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dreams

WARNING: This blog post got a little out of control and consists of lots of stuff that you don't really care about.

My name is Courtney Hazard and I have wanted to start my very own blog for sometime now. I have always put it off because I know myself, and I know that if I did start one it would become like the 9 billion journals I have lying around that have a total of two pages written on and the rest left white as they came. But as I was sitting in my room today, I decided that I would just buckle down and do it. So, I did. I sat down at my little desk and before I knew it-- Bam! I had a blog. Turns out they aren't too complicated after all.

Just to give you some background information about myself... I am a Sophomore at Brigham Young University Idaho, and I really do love it here in little Rexburg. I am living in Tuscany Place Apartments right now, and I feel so blessed to be here. I have always felt very close to my family and I love them more than anything. My small, but very close, group of friends follow close behind :) I love to observe people and their behaviors, which is why I am majoring in Sociology and minoring in Marriage and Family Studies. I am so excited to get started with the classes!






__________________ 

Lately I have had so many thoughts about my life after college. It's coming up right around the corner, you know? And even though I know it is important to live in the moment and enjoy every day (which I feel I am doing) I feel like I better at least have an idea of how things may be after I graduate...

Up until now I have had the hardest time imagining myself as a graduated student. I have never been good at making decisions, which is a really bad thing when you are expected to sign up for a career to do for the rest of your life. Because of that, I have literally changed my major several times (if not officially, at least in my head.)
I started as a Sociology major. A few months later, I decided that I hadn't been thinking straight when I signed up for that, so I decided to do nursing instead. I was going to BYU at the time and I was dead set on being a nurse. A pediatric nurse. Until a few weeks later, when I decided that was way too out of reach. So I changed my major to photography. I love taking pictures. Here are some that I took a while ago for fun.




I still love to take picture, especially of kids, but my plans were changed again when I got to work Apple Tree Learning Center last summer. I got to be a "teacher" in the toddler room, and I realized that I really enjoy working with kids, especially those with disabilities or behavioral problems.







So, of course, I decided that Early Childhood/Special Education was the right major for me. Or was it Child Development? You know what... No. Let's just make it Occupational Therapy. For kids. Or something like that. Thanks.

See what I mean?

Even though I loved the idea of each one of those things, none of them seemed right.

So I decided to go with my original dream. The one I had felt so good about in high school. Which was to major in Sociology and eventually become either a social worker, or a child/family therapist.
And it feels pretty right. And I am happy about it.
_______________________

So now, finally, I feel like I can actually imagine myself as a graduated student. With a career.

My most recent dream is to live in Charlotte, North Carolina in a cottage styled beach house. You know the type.

Here is my future home.



Here is where I will eat breakfast on warm summer mornings...




Then I will go out to relax on the nice breezy beach.





Okay, I'm Just kidding. Kind of. But that would be pretty ideal. I really am a very practical person.

Two of my real, and very reachable dreams are to go to Ecuador to work in an Orphanage.


I want to help little boys like this. How can you resist that?

Another one of my dreams is to go to BYU Jerusalem for a semester. 

So I can see things like this.


Go to places like this.


And talk to people like this.

 

I would love to have the opportunity to have those experiences! Hopefully one day :)

One more dream of mine is to be a model :) Now now, you have to understand that when I say this I am mostly joking. Because I am the least photogenic person on this planet. No joke. So I guess what I am saying is that I wish I was photogenic enough that I could be a model. You know what I'm saying. It looks like fun. You get all dressed up and people make you look pretty, and then they take really good pictures of you for everyone to see. It would be great.  

Here is what I mean when I say I am not photogenic.




hahahahah horrible! But really.

When I was in Utah, me and my friend Melinda wanted to be models for a night so we dressed up and took pictures of each other.

How embarrassing to admit.

Anyway, let's do this Tyra Banks style and take a look at our best shots.

Melinda




Me




Sometimes it takes desperate measures to keep yourself entertained. 

______________


Welp, now you know about three of my wildest dreams. They may seem out of reach. But sometimes, it's okay to dream big 

My life is filled with hopes and dreams. And lucky for me, I get to pursue them and even live them every day! 

For now though, I'm sick of writing. So until next time...


so long.

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog, Court! You are a great writer. Maybe that could be another dream! Can't wait for the next post. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court! I'm so excited for your blog! You have inspired me! If graduation is right around the corner for you, it must be pounding down my door! haha!

    p.s. Don't forget to blog again. We can have blogging parties!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney! I loved reading that!!! It was so entertaining and I even learned about you and I just loved it. Also, I feel so flattered to be featured in your blog. Even though there are some slightly embarrassing photographs of me in which I am half joking half taking myself too seriously. Anyways, I am just going to be reading this thing all the time cuz it was so great so I really hope that you do not let it end up like all your journals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed, I cried, I learned a little about you and the fact that yes, you truly are the most unphotogenic person in the world. But I love you, chocolate-in-the-teeth and all, and I'm happy that you have a blog. Keep writing, and dream big :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that was an awesome blog- Soundtrack and everything. And even though you've been my sister for 20 years I feel like I learned some things about you that I didn't know. For instance, that you are an amazing writer, that you could have been a supermodel in the late 80s, and that you want to move to North Carolina (what the heck?).

    Keep dreaming big, Court. Nothing is out of reach.

    We love you! Keep the good posts comming!

    ReplyDelete