Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thankful

Today I cannot deny that there is a God. I cannot deny that he knows us, he cares for us, and he hears our prayers.

Most of all, today I cannot deny that miracles happen.

_____________________________

Yes, for those of you who read and keep up with my blog, I am referring to my mom. Last week she was diagnosed with colon cancer. They quickly got her into surgery and successfully removed the baseball sized tumor. However, they were unsure if the cancer had penetrated the intestinal wall, or not. If it hadn't, that was good. If it had, that was really bad, and would mean that she would have to do chemotherapy. We, as a family, along with my mom, had prepared ourselves to hear the bad news, because even the doctor didn't give us much hope of hearing good news. 

This past week has been full of fasting and praying. 

And apparently, those kinds of things work. 

The doctor told us yesterday that the cancer had not penetrated the wall, and that there was no cancer found in any of the 37 lymph nodes that had been removed.

Even the doctor was surprised.

That, to me, seems like a miracle.

Me, Allison, Haley, and Bennett

Griffin and Ashland after a long drive

Mom and Zoey

My parents will have to talk to the oncologist to see if chemo is still needed as a precaution. But from what I understand, if she needs it, it will only be a very small amount.

What a blessing! I truly can't deny that our prayers are heard and answered.

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been amazed at the concern and love people from all over the world have shown. Seriously. From Hawaii, to Iraq, and even in Finland, people have been praying for my mom. On top of the prayers, which mean so much, we have also had constant visitors bringing delicious foods of all sorts, movies and books to keep Mom busy, and lots of kind words of encouragement. We even had someone offer to walk the dog. Which we don't have :) But it's definitely the thought that counts, and we, as a family, have been so grateful to everyone for all the help and support they have shown!

After hearing the good news, our worry levels have gone way down, and we are now just hoping that she can heal quickly. Despite the bad situation, I have been so happy to get to spend time with her and my family this past week (my brother and sister and their families came all the way from Oklahoma and Texas!) Although the circumstances weren't the best, it was good to see our family pull together a little bit when it was needed.
__________________________

Today in Relief Society we got to watch a Mormon Message. I love mormon messages, and the fact that this one was on service really helped me reflect on how strong my testimony of service is. I know that service is what brings us closer to those around us. It is what helps us to see others as Christ sees them-- as children of God. And that is what strengthens our relationship with Him. I am so grateful for those who have shown service towards me and my family, in any way. Hopefully, I can also show others such unselfish service. 


"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."
-Mosiah 2:17

Until next time,
So long

No comments:

Post a Comment